Spartan Race Corona Virus Cancel/Postponed Update

March 13 – Complete Updated List Here.

Spartan Race just announced the San Luis Obispo event, set to take place this weekend will be postponed to a later date. There were 3 OCR distances planned as the Super, Beast, and UltraBeast were to take place.

In addition, the San Luis Obispo Spartan Trail races of 10k and 13.1 miles will also be postponed.

Update March 12, 2020 – San Luis Obispo Spartan weekend is now moved to November 14-15.

Spartan Race postponed the San Luis Obispo races at the recommendation of the County Health Officer. (We have included the local health Officer’s statement below)

We have also included the full release from Spartan which includes this statement about additional races:

“At this time, all other US events will proceed as scheduled unless otherwise noted”.

We are keeping track of all major obstacle race cancellations and postponements on this post, which we consistently update.

Here is the official statement from Spartan Race regarding this location and COVID – 19

Spartans,

As we actively monitor the developments of COVID-19 and comply with local governments, we regret to inform you that after consulting with the County of San Luis Obispo Public Health Department, they have determined that it is necessary to postpone this weekend’s events scheduled to take place at Santa Margarita Ranch. We will inform you of the new date by Friday.

We are automatically moving all racers to the new date, once confirmed; no further action will be required. If you are unable to attend the new date, you will have 60 days (until May 13th, 2020) to defer your event free of charge. You will be able to defer to any other distance event in the US in 2020 or 2021 that is open for registration. Should you need to defer your event, we will provide information in the next email communication.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Service Spartans via Live Chat (look for the red help button at the bottom of any Spartan.com page!), or directly via email at: us@spartan.com.

Spartan continues to closely monitor developments pertaining to COVID-19 and operate in accordance with local government policies and/or requests. At this time, all other US events will proceed as scheduled unless otherwise noted.

Spartan Cancelled at Recommendation of County Health Officer .

Health Officer evaluating events on case by case basis; No mass cancellations at this time

San Luis Obispo, CA—County of San Luis Obispo Health Officer Dr. Penny Borenstein has advised the Spartan organization to postpone the Spartan obstacle course and trail running events scheduled for March 13-15 in Santa Margarita. As a result, event organizers have postponed the event to a date to be announced later this week.

Nearly 7,000 participants from 11 countries had registered for the event, including participants from U.S. cities with local transmission of COVID-19 and several countries currently subject to CDC travel advisories. The decision comes as cases of COVID-19 continue to increase in California.

“It is important to cancel this event to protect the health of the participants and, ultimately, the health of our entire community,” said Dr. Borenstein. “This is an event that by its nature includes close physical contact. With attendees planning to participate from across California and across the world, we need to take a proactive approach to prevent the spread of illness.”

The Public Health Department is closely monitoring events scheduled in SLO County and Dr. Borenstein is providing guidance on a case by case basis.

For organizers of events in SLO County: The Public Health Department recommends that event organizers create an emergency contingency plan for how to modify, cancel, or postpone large events if a COVID-19 outbreak occurs in the community. Event organizers should refer to the Mass Gatherings Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health.

Click here for – All obstacle racing covid-19 related articles.

Matt B. Davis

is the host of the Obstacle Racing Media Podcast and the author of "Down and Dirty-The Essential Training Guide for Obstacle Races and Mud Runs". He is also the only (known) #wafflehouseelite obstacle racer.

Comments

  1. Man I hope they make a decision more than a couple days in advance going forward. I understand their is complexities involved but would be nice to give those attending more of an opportunity to make adjustments. I registered for Seattle and Governor put a ban on anything with more than 250+ People in the area through the end of the month….and “maybe longer”. Why not give the opportunity to at least defer to another race without the fees now.

    • Totally agree with Zach! I am signed up for Seattle also. Be nice to get earlier cancel notice. Especially since many must cancel travel arrangements and hotel reservations.

    • I agree. My team and I are curious about Seattle as well for the first week of April.

    • T Shaffin says

      I am flying in from another state as well. At this point, I think it should be announced since the governor has banned the large events. I am in complete agreement, we should get as much notice as possible.

  2. Cody skinner says

    What is the outlook for las vegas

    • Me too. Waiting to hear for our Vegas one. Everything else is shutting down

      • I know!! I REALLY hope they are still going to do it. I love the Vegas race, its my favorite. If they try and make it later it will be to hot. UGH this sucks.

    • Waiting to hear about that one too

  3. Sarah Hoffman says

    If one is cancelled I feel like they all should be.

  4. It’s time for the Spartan Race Organizers to stand up and do the right thing and either cancel the races for the next couple months or allow participants to cancel.without penalty.